22 July 2010

Places to stay in Newfoundland

I had this horrid habit of just wanting to keep everything. When I travel I'm always picking up bits and pieces of paper. Then I store then away in some cupboard. I must get better at doing something with the info.  The challenge I have is that I've been to 35 plus countries and that means there is a quite the pile that I must tackle.

Here is one attempt:

All my Newfoundland maps: those I actually keep. I find it so easy to go into my basket of maps and pull out the ones that I need - either for myself or to pass onto someone else.

Not sure what a "mug-up"wlecome is but the Big Fish Bed and Breakfast info card sounds like a nice place to stay in Pouch Cove, Newfoundland - Maida Edey and Betty MacDonald are the hosts. www.bigfish-bb.ca  Pouch Cove is suppose to be budding with artists, artisands an dmusicians and was founded in 1611. Rocky bluffs, duvet covers, internet access - 20 minutes outside of St. John's, midway between Torbay and Cap St. Francis.

Home Hotel on Signal Hill had daily, weekly, monthly and annual rates. Modern brick. Starting from 79 per night (mind you this was in 2009) - crisp bed linens, luxurious terry bath towels, free breakfast, newspaper, phone calls, high speed internet. www.hometels.ca

Local marketing: www.yieldcommunications.com

Marblewood Village Resort - they actually have skiing in Newfoundland. Now that sounds silly I know but I just didn't think they would have a Whistler or Ski Dagmar zone!  www.marblemountain.com Steady Brook. Charming area.

The Beach House www.newfoundlandgetaway.com 10 minutes from the St. John's International airport.
Atlantica Restaurant is located inside the Beach House.

www.therooms.ca - no this isn't a place you can stay but you can visit - there is a cafe, gift shop, art gallery, museum.  It looks great from the outside and is well worth a visit.

Obriens Whale and Bird Tour.www.obriensboattours.com  I loved this tour - first off was the iceberg - late in the season and it wasn't super big but the strip of glacier blue ice, the kayaks that teased the iceberg, the Witless Bay Ecological reserve - home of the largest Atlantic Puffin colony in North America (these little guys are the size of a soda can), humpback whales (we lucked in to having 6 follow our boat and one breached - just as we were leaving); having layered clothing helped, camera is essential to capture memories, just 30 minutes or so from St. Johns, stay for a Lobster dinner (if you aren't a vegetarian)


No comments:

Post a Comment