15 February 2007

The States Slowly Creep In

Why is it when you get your money from the Automated Teller Machine at the Edmonton Airport they ask if you want English or French language first and then they give you an image of the USA Dollar?

When I call my girlfriend's school at the Durham Board of Education in Ontario that the mechanical voice that come tells me to press Zee instead of Zed?

And at the Holiday Inn where I recently stayed in Alberta the menu is littered with American spelling such as color versus colour?

"In Canada we have enough to do keeping up with two spoken languages without
trying to invent slang, so we just go right ahead and use English for
literature, Scotch for sermons and American for conversation." -- Stephen Leacock
I found the above on http://www.cornerstoneword.com/index.htm or google "differences between English" for more spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment