29 October 2009

Zero Footprint

0.7 total emissions (tonnes of CO2/flight) is what a flight from YYZ to YVR takes.
www.zerofootprint.com has more details but the info I picked out was that every flight I take releases carbon dioxide (co2) into the atmosphere and contributes to climate change. When I offset my flight (i.e. pay $11.20 for the length of this flight into a fund like Zerofootprint) I am contributing to certified environmentally friendly projects. 
Basically I'm paying for my pollution is my take.

Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

I'm still a little lost on the carbon taxes, being carbon neutral and so forth but I am attempting to understand it.

All I know is that I am guilty of being a heavy user of carbons (or rather I release a lot of carbons by my actions) which is a bad thing.

Over the past 20 years I have spent so much time in airplanes that I hate to think about what I should put into a carbon bank account.

I might be able to offset it somewhat because I rarely use my car, eat lower on the food chain (that's right - the less animal products that you eat the fewer carbons are produced), volunteer for an earth-friendly group and am fairly aware of the impact my living has on the planet.

It is still a thought. Given the damage that Europeans, North Americans and now China it is time that we took some responsibility.
One thing I haven't done is have children - some might call that a selfish act - but I must say that not having children means that my carbon footprint will be much less than so many other people.  Mind you I have two cats...oh the list goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment