28 September 2023

Cell phones and lack of eye contact in Cuba

One disappointment I encountered during my initial trip to Cuba in 2019 was the introduction of cell phones. Suddenly, people stopped making eye contact, consistently gazing downwards with headphones plugged in. Communication became nearly impossible as they mirrored our behaviours. By "us," I refer to those who have disconnected so profoundly from their own lives that they experience panic without an Internet connection or a cell phone attached to their bodies. While visiting Cuba, I met a young Asian woman in her twenties from Vancouver. Despite economizing by staying in affordable accommodations, she repeatedly expressed her quest for the best deal. In Cuba, it is possible to find remarkable rooms hosted by locals at a fraction of the prices in Canada. In fact, similar accommodations in Canada would be difficult to find at these rates. My partner and I paid between $30 and $100 per night, while she managed to secure lodgings ranging from $10 to $25 per night. This is commendable, as I remember doing the same at her age, residing in hostels or engaging in shared accommodations. However, what astonished me was her constant attachment to her phone, with a costly roaming plan of $10 per day. She was unwilling to sever her connection to Canada and the Internet. I, too, am guilty as I logged onto the frustrating internet system multiple times, reminding myself to remain calm. I did this from various areas utilizing the service within Cuba. The difference? I had to plan my online sessions. I didn't use my cell as my entertainment tool. I forced myself to immerse into the location that was in, whether on a bus or in a restaurant. Witnessing the excessive number of cell phones in Cuba was disconcerting, as this phenomenon had only recently taken hold. Heads down, eyes averted.

No comments:

Post a Comment