20 July 2009

Vancouver airport to downtown by bus

This is the first time in decades of travel that I have ever tried using
the Vancouver bus system.

This time I had no luggage so it was easy to try and attempt.

Leaving international arrivals I could see signs for public transit (but
one will notice the pricing board does not make mention of the bus). I
make it as far as the parking lot entrance when all signs disappear.

I hang a right and in about fifty paces I start seeing signs again. The
signs tell me that the bus goes to airport station and that I need to
transfer. The bus driver tells me that I transfer at the loop.

Sounds all confusing to me. The loop ends up being between the delta
hotel and the arthur bridge.

I am then told to catch the downtown bus at bay 1. I jump on the bus
after following a short unpaved path.

So far, so good and it cost $2.50 to get on. Traffic flow is steady and
we are making some stops but it should take no longer than 20 - 25 minutes.

Stops are announced and are flashed on a scrolling digital board.

Not sure if I agree with a bus driver who is keeping a cell phone to his
ear for a few blocks. As long as it is quick and essential but if he is
just yakking - forget it!

But he did pick up some folks and moved the bus forward ten feet or so
and then stopped and picked up three others. That was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment