21 September 2011

Manners and etiquette

That's the headline in this month's annamagazine.ca -Manners and etiquette. It got me thinking about the state of manners in Vancouver.  Annually I throw a couple of parties. I am ever so grateful when people do get back to me with a yes, no or a maybe.  At least it tells me that the person on the other end of the invite are alive.  Today I went to see my pedicure person (who will remain unnamed) and I asked if she had changed her email address. No - she had not. So I asked her if she got the invite. Yes, she did. And she meant to RSVP but got busy in life and work.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure if I buy that. It only takes a sec to response, make a quick phone call, send a text message when you are invited to an event. We are all busy.  And meantime as the hostess I'm trying to figure out how many people I'm inviting, what the mix is going to be like, decided on food, and all the other dozens of tiny details.

And she's not the only one.  It just reminds me to RSVP to invitations that I get and to take a moment to say thank-you to others.  And not to feel totally annoyed when I don't get a response.  Maybe that person is giving me a hint and telling me that they don't want to be on the invite list.

No comments:

Post a Comment